I have been inundated lately queries from locals wanting to discuss “What’s happening to our homes in Nedlands?”
Whilst I am not an expert and I would recommend calling the council for specific questions, it is my job to understand where we are at and point people in the right direction.
The latest updates from the Nedlands Council can be summarised as follows:
The Nedlands Council met on the 31st of July and resolved to not support Local Planning Scheme No.3. In accordance with regulation 28 of the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 (the Regulations) the City’s Administration will, within 21 days of the meeting date, provide the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) with:
- The Councils resolution;
- A summary of the reasons why the Council does not support the draft scheme;
- The schedule of submissions (both the summary and original submissions will be provided); and
- The response of the City of Nedlands to each submission.
In accordance with regulation 29 of the Regulations the WAPC, within 120 days of receiving these documents (or within such longer period the Minister allows), will:
- Consider the documents; and
- Make any recommendations to the Minister in respect of the draft local planning scheme.
The Minister may then:
- Approve the local planning scheme;
- Refuse the local planning scheme; or
- Require modifications to the local planning scheme.
In requiring modifications to the local planning scheme the Minister may direct the City of Nedlands to readvertise the scheme, if the Minister is of the opinion that the modification is significant.
The short of this is that we do not know what the Minister will do in terms of modifications to what was advertised and that the Scheme is now in their hands and out of the Councils.
I will keep you posted with further updates as and when they happen!